Gas vs Electric Tankless Water Heater
Choosing Between a Gas or an Electric Tankless Water Heater
When you are out in the market to buy a tankless water heater, you have two choices: to get one fueled by gas or a unit that runs with electricity. If you are wondering which is best, the answer is both. Each household has its unique circumstances, what the ideal unit for your neighbor is, may not be a good fit in meeting your water heating needs.
To select between a gas or electric device you need to consider 3 things:
- Utility services available for your home
- Households water flow requirements
- Groundwater temperature for your region
Comparing Gas and Electric Water Heaters
Gas Tankless Water Heater
- A gas unit is far more complicated and expensive to install when compared to its electric counterpart.
- Some models require a complex venting system.
- A home’s existing venting ducts and gas lines are seldom compatible with a gas tankless water heater.
- In some instances, there could be costly home modifications necessary to accommodate for the venting and gas requirements.
Electric Tankless Water Heater
- An electric device is much easier to install, thus less expensive than the installation of a gas unit.
- It is much smaller than a gas water heater.
- An electric unit doesn’t require ventilation which significantly reduces the installation costs.
- Far less complicated, than its gas counterpart. Also, it can be installed in closets and other out-of-the-way spaces due to their small size.
- If upgrading your home’s power is not a requirement, an electric water heater is very easy and inexpensive to install.
Selecting which type of tankless device to purchase is a critical decision that should be based on your household hot water demands, budget, installation opportunities and personal preferences. With that in mind, it is highly recommended to consult with a professional HVAC installer, like Quinnair technicians, who can give you specific guidance for your situation. Call us at 303-980-3788 to learn more about other water heater options.